Before getting a Korean perm, it’s important to consider your hair type and maintenance requirements. A Korean perm is a chemically treated hair process that creates curls or waves that can last for months.
It is recommended for those with straight hair that want to achieve a permanent curly look. If you are considering a Korean perm, take time to research reputable salons, understand the process, and be aware of the potential damage it can cause to your hair.
It’s also important to carefully follow aftercare instructions to ensure your new curls stay healthy and beautiful for as long as possible. We’ll cover everything you need to know before getting a Korean perm so that you can make an informed decision and enjoy your new look.
What Is A Korean Perm?
Definition Of A Korean Perm
Korean perm is a hair styling technique that originated in south korea. It is a type of perm that uses an alkaline solution, which gives a more defined and longer-lasting curl than traditional perming methods. Korean perm is a permanent style that requires maintenance, and it’s not recommended for those with damaged or sensitive hair.
How It Differs From Other Types Of Perms
Compared to other types of perms, Korean perm uses a different solution that is more alkaline, allowing the hair to hold the curls for a longer time. Korean perm curls are usually tighter and more defined compared to other perms.
The technique also uses rods that are customized to your hair type and length, resulting in a more tailored and natural-looking curl.
Related: What Is a Korean Hair Perm?
Benefits Of A Korean Perm
- Low maintenance: Unlike other perms that require frequent touch-ups, Korean perms can last for up to six months without additional treatment.
- Natural-looking curls: Korean perm is designed to enhance the hair’s natural texture, resulting in soft and bouncy curls that look effortless.
- Customizable: The rods used in Korean perm come in different sizes, allowing the stylist to tailor the curl size and type to your hair texture and length.
- No damage: The solution used in Korean perm is gentle on the hair, making it less damaging than other harsh chemicals used in other perming techniques.
- Versatile: With Korean perm, you can get different looks like loose waves or tight curls depending on your preference and hair type.
Hair type plays a crucial role when it comes to getting a Korean perm. Not all hair types will react favorably to the treatment, and some may require additional care and conditioning. Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- Some hair types, like fine or oily hair, may not hold a Korean perm for long and may require touch-ups more often.
- Thick or coarse hair can handle a Korean perm better, but it may also require more time in the salon chair.
- Damaged or chemically-treated hair may not be suitable for a Korean perm, as it can lead to further damage.
- If you have a unique hair type or texture, it’s best to consult with a stylist beforehand to determine if a Korean perm is right for you.
How To Determine If Your Hair Is Suitable For A Korean Perm
Before diving into the world of Korean perms, it’s important to know whether or not your hair is suitable for the treatment. Here are some things to consider:
- The condition of your hair plays a vital role in the success of a Korean perm. If your hair is severely damaged or has undergone recent treatment, it may not be suitable for a perm.
- Your hair’s texture is also important to consider. If you have fine or limp hair, it may not be strong enough to hold a Korean perm, leading to a short-lived result.
- It’s always best to do a strand test prior to committing to a Korean perm. This will give you an idea of how your hair will react to the chemicals and how the end result might look.
- Consult with a professional stylist who is experienced in Korean perms. They will be able to determine whether or not a Korean perm is appropriate for your hair type, texture, and condition.
Remember to always take the time to do your research and consult with a professional before jumping into a Korean perm. With the right approach and care, a Korean perm can be a great way to style your hair and add volume and texture to your look.
Are you tired of your straight hair and looking for a change? Korean perms are a popular way to add volume and curl to your hair. Before diving in, it’s essential to understand the process, how long it takes, and its potential side effects.
So, let’s get started with the details.
A Korean perm uses special chemicals to break down your hair’s natural structure, followed by re-forming it into curls using a perm rod. Here’s a step-by-step guide to the Korean perm process:
- The hair is shampooed to remove any dirt and oil.
- A perm solution is applied to break down the hair’s natural structure for 10-20 minutes.
- The solution is rinsed off, and a neutralizer is applied to stop the chemical process and re-form hair into curls using perm rods.
- The rods are left in place for 10-20 minutes, after which the neutralizer is removed.
- The perm rods are carefully removed, and the hair is rinsed thoroughly.
How Long Does The Process
The time required to complete a Korean perm primarily depends on your hair type and length. However, the entire process can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours on average. If you have long or thick hair, it could take longer.
So, make sure to set aside sufficient time for the process.
Potential Side Effects Of The Perm
Like any chemical hair treatment, there are potential side effects to a Korean perm that you should be aware of before getting one. Here are a few side effects that you should keep an eye out for:
- Hair breakage: Excessive processing or overtreatment of hair can cause it to break.
- Dryness: Perms can leave hair feeling dry and damaged.
- Allergic reactions: You may experience an allergic reaction if you’re sensitive to any chemical ingredients used in the procedure.
A Korean perm can be an excellent way to add volume and curl to your hair. However, it’s vital to know the process, how long it takes, and the potential side effects before getting one. With this information, you’re better equipped to make an informed decision about whether a Korean perm is right for you.
Maintenance And Aftercare
How To Maintain The Perm After The Process
Congratulations on your new Korean perm! You’ll need to know how to maintain the perm after the process to keep your curls looking great. Here are a few tips to help you out:
- Do not wash your hair for at least three days after your perm. This gives the perm time to set and ensures that your curls will last longer.
- Use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle your hair. This will help to avoid breakage and prevent damage to your curls.
- Your hair is now more sensitive to heat. It’s best to avoid heat styling tools like blow dryers, curling irons, and straighteners, but if it’s necessary, use a heat protectant spray before styling.
- Gently massage your scalp while washing to avoid tangling your curls. Avoid using hot water as it can cause frizz, and use a sulfate-free shampoo to keep your hair moisturized.
- Don’t tie your hair too tightly or use tight hair bands as they can ruin your curls. Believe it or not, sleeping on a silk pillowcase can also protect your curls.
- Be aware of the humidity in the air, as it can cause frizz.
Recommended Hair Care Products
A perm requires special care to maintain its look and texture. Here are the best hair care products to use after getting a Korean perm:
- Choose sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners specifically designed for use on permed hair. These shampoos won’t strip the hair of its oils, and the conditioner will help keep the hair moisturized and prevent damage to the curls.
- Leave-in conditioner can help keep the curls defined and shiny throughout the day. Apply the leave-in conditioner to your hair when it’s still damp.
- Oil-based serums can help with frizz control and add shine to your hair. Be careful not to use too much, or your hair will appear greasy.
- Keratin treatments can help to restore damaged hair and keep your perm looking great.
How Often To Get Touch-Ups
After getting your Korean perm, you may need to schedule touch-ups to keep your curls looking as good as new. Here are some things to consider when deciding when to book your next appointment:
- On average, you can expect your Korean perm to last between 3-6 months, depending on your hair type and how well you maintain your curls.
- If you start to see your roots growing out or notice that your curls are starting to lose their definition, it’s time for a touch-up.
- It’s best to avoid getting a touch-up too often, as this can lead to hair damage and breakage. Consult your stylist about the right time to schedule your next appointment.
Choosing A Salon
Getting a perm is a fantastic way to change up your look and add some volume to your tresses. If you’re interested in a Korean perm, there are a few things you should keep in mind before heading to a salon.
One of the key considerations is choosing the right salon; here are some factors to help you make an informed decision:
Factors To Consider When Selecting A Salon
- Experience: Look for salons that have experience specifically with Korean perming techniques. Check online reviews to hear from previous customers and see how happy they were with the results.
- Services offered: Make sure the salon offers the specific style of Korean perm that you’re interested in. Some salons may specialize in certain types of perms, so it’s worth doing your research to find the right one for you.
- Customer service: It’s essential to feel comfortable and relaxed at the salon during your appointment. Choose salons with friendly, accommodating staff that you feel comfortable communicating with.
- Salon hygiene: A clean salon environment is critical to prevent any bacterial infections or allergic reactions, so ensure the salon remains clean.
- Availability: It’s always best to choose a salon that can accommodate your schedule. Consider the time and date of your availability before booking.
Online Resources To Research And Find Reputable Salons
- Customer reviews: Read feedback from previous customers online to hear about their experiences and the results of their Korean perm.
- Social media: Check out the salon’s social media pages to see their before-and-after images and the overall process. Observe how they communicate with their customers.
- Business directories: Check with business directories like yellow pages, yelp, and Google Maps and find details (reviews, ratings, contact details) of reputable salons in your area.
Cost Of A Korean Perm
- Price: Prices of Korean perm vary depending upon the length and thickness of your hair, hair quality and the specific type of Korean permanent waves, so expect to pay more for longer hair.
- Process: The Korean perm procedure can take anywhere between 2-5 hours depending on the hair length, thickness, and style.
- Maintenance: Expect to spend some time and money maintaining your Korean perm as aftercare is a must. Keeping the hair conditioned, nourished and trimmed helps maintain the Korean perm for a few months.
Choosing the right salon for your Korean perm is vital. With these tips, you’re ready to search for a reputable salon to achieve the hair of your dreams.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is A Korean Perm?
A Korean perm is a hairstyle that creates curly or wavy hair using chemicals and heat.
How Long Does A Korean Perm Last?
A Korean perm can last for 4 to 6 months, depending on the individual’s hair type and maintenance.
Is A Korean Perm Damaging To Hair?
Any chemical process can cause damage to hair. However, proper maintenance can minimize damage from a Korean perm.
Can I Swim Or Shower With A Korean Perm?
It is recommended to avoid swimming or excessively washing the hair for the first 48 hours after getting a Korean perm.
How Much Does A Korean Perm Cost?
The cost of a Korean perm can vary depending on the salon, location, and type of perm. On average, it can range from $150 to $400.
Overall, getting a Korean perm can be a great way to switch up your look and change your hairstyle. However, before jumping in, it’s important to understand what the process entails. Researching the right salon, understanding the chemicals used, and communicating with your stylist are all crucial steps in getting the desired look while also taking care of the health of your hair.
It’s important to have realistic expectations for the outcome of your perm. Korean perms can create beautiful, natural-looking waves or curls, but it’s important to understand that the results may not be instant or perfect. With proper care and maintenance, your Korean perm can last for several months and give you a great new look.
Just make sure to do your research, communicate with your stylist, and take care of your hair to ensure the best outcome.