Are you tired of your dyed red hair and ready to switch to a more subtle, sun-kissed shade like strawberry blonde? Well, you’re in luck! This article will guide you on how to lighten dyed red hair to strawberry blonde, providing you with all the necessary information and tips. With our help, you’ll achieve that dreamy strawberry blonde hue in no time. So, let’s get started!
How To Lighten Dyed Red Hair To Strawberry Blonde?
1. Consult a Professional Hairdresser
Importance of Expert Advice
When it comes to lightening dyed red hair to strawberry blonde, consulting a professional hairdresser is crucial. They have the experience, knowledge, and skills to help you achieve the desired results while minimizing hair damage. Moreover, they can assess your hair’s current state and recommend the best method to lighten it.
Tips for Finding the Right Hairdresser
To find the perfect hairdresser for your needs, consider the following tips:
- Ask for recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues who have experience with color transformations.
- Read online reviews and check the portfolios of potential hairdressers.
- Schedule a consultation to discuss your goals and concerns, as well as assess their expertise and professionalism.
2. Prepare Your Hair for the Change
Deep Conditioning Treatments
Before lightening your dyed red hair, it’s essential to ensure your hair is healthy and well-conditioned. Use deep conditioning treatments at least once a week for a few weeks before your color change. This will help strengthen your hair and minimize the damage caused by the lightening process.
Pre-color Hair Care Routine
In the days leading up to your color transformation, avoid using heat-styling tools and harsh chemicals on your hair. Also, try to keep it moisturized by using hair masks and oils.
3. Select the Right Products
Choose a hair lightener or bleach that’s gentle on your hair and has good reviews. Look for products with added conditioning agents to minimize damage during the lightening process.
Toning Shampoo and Conditioner
To achieve the perfect strawberry blonde hue and neutralize any unwanted red tones, you’ll need a toning shampoo and conditioner. Look for products specifically designed for blonde hair with a purple or blue tint.
4. Lighten Your Hair at Home
If you decide to lighten your dyed red hair to strawberry blonde at home, follow these steps:
- Apply a protective barrier, like petroleum jelly, around your hairline and ears to prevent skin irritation.
- Mix the hair lightener or bleach according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Divide your hair into sections and apply the lightener, starting from the ends and moving towards the roots.
- Follow the recommended processing time, checking the progress regularly.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly, then use a toning shampoo and conditioner to neutralize any remaining red tones.
- Finish with a deep conditioning treatment to restore moisture and minimize damage.
When lightening your hair at home, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and perform a patch test 48 hours before application to check for any allergic reactions. Additionally, wear gloves to protect your hands and work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling fumes.
Related: Can Albino People Dye Their Hair?
5. Visit a Salon for the Best Results
Advantages of Professional Lightening
While it’s possible to lighten your dyed red hair at home, visiting a salon will yield the best results. Professional hairdressers have the expertise and tools to achieve the desired shade while minimizing damage to your hair. They can also customize the lightening process to suit your specific needs and hair type.
What to Expect at the Salon
During your salon visit, the hairdresser will assess your hair and discuss your goals. They may use different lightening techniques, such as balayage or foil highlights, to achieve the strawberry blonde shade. Expect to spend a few hours at the salon, depending on the complexity of the process.
6. Maintain Your New Hair Color
Post-color Hair Care Routine
To keep your strawberry blonde hair looking vibrant and healthy, follow a post-color hair care routine that includes:
- Using a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner designed for color-treated hair.
- Applying a deep conditioning treatment once a week to maintain moisture and prevent damage.
- Limiting the use of heat-styling tools and protecting your hair with a heat protectant spray when necessary.
- Wearing a hat or using a UV-protective spray when spending time in the sun to prevent color fading.
As your hair grows, you may need to retouch your strawberry blonde color every 4-6 weeks to maintain its vibrancy. If you’re comfortable with the process, you can do this at home using a hair lightener and toner. However, for the best results and minimal damage, consider visiting a professional hairdresser for retouching.
7. Experiment with Temporary Solutions
Hair Chalks and Sprays
If you’re not ready to commit to lightening your dyed red hair permanently or want to try the strawberry blonde shade before taking the plunge, consider using temporary hair color products like hair chalks or sprays. These products can give you a similar look without long-term commitment or potential damage.
Wigs and Extensions
Another temporary option is using wigs or hair extensions in the desired strawberry blonde shade. This allows you to change your look instantly without altering your natural hair color.
Related: Is Black A Natural Hair Color?
How long does it take to lighten dyed red hair to strawberry blonde?
The duration depends on the current color and condition of your hair, as well as the method you choose. At-home lightening can take several sessions, while a professional treatment might achieve the desired result in one or two appointments.
Can I lighten dyed red hair to strawberry blonde without bleach?
Yes, but the results may not be as dramatic. You can try using a color remover or natural lightening methods like lemon juice and honey.
Is it safe to lighten dyed red hair to strawberry blonde at home?
It can be safe if you follow the instructions carefully and use the right products. However, for the best results and minimal damage, it’s advisable to consult a professional hairdresser.
How often should I retouch my strawberry blonde hair?
This depends on the growth rate of your hair and your personal preference. Generally, retouching is needed every 4-6 weeks to maintain the color.
Will lightening my dyed red hair damage it?
Lightening hair can cause damage, especially if not done correctly. To minimize the risk, follow a proper hair care routine and use quality products.
Can I go back to my natural color after lightening my dyed red hair to strawberry blonde?
Yes, you can return to your natural color, but it may require additional color treatments. Consult a professional to determine the best approach.
Lightening dyed red hair to strawberry blonde can be an exciting change, but it requires careful planning and consideration. By following the tips and advice provided in this article, you’ll be well on your way to achieving that beautiful, sun-kissed hue. Remember to consult a professional, use quality products, and maintain a healthy hair care routine to keep your hair looking fabulous. So, what are you waiting for? Start your journey to strawberry blonde hair today!